Here is a brief summary of the differences between the 3 sports we offer at Boardsports. Feel free to learn all three!
Kiteboarding is 80% kite control, 20% board skills. The most relevant sports to kiteboarding are stunt kite flying, hang gliding, and paragliding. If you have flown stunt kites, snowboarded or wake boarded you will have an advantage. Once you master flying the small 2 line trainer kite (we recommend 6-10 hours of practice), then you are ready to take our 2 part beginner land and water lesson on a full size kite. The average person takes between 20 and 40 hours of total practice and lessons (trainer kite, lessons, practice on their own) before you are up and riding consistently. Kiteboarding has a steep learning curve, but once you master the basics, it’s easy to improve very quickly. The thrill of kitesurfing is all about adrenaline. The kite has tremendous power, and can take you for a ride over the water on a small, light board. You can jump as high as 30+ feet. You can do rotations and tricks. Or you can just comfort cruise and take in the scenic sites.
Kiteboarding Progression & Benefits
- Kiteboarding is an exciting, adrenaline based sport combining the thrill of kite flying with the joy of riding a small sized lightweight board through the water
- Start with a land based trainer kite (10 hours+). Our intro lesson is $50
- Progress to a full size kite in our 5 hour land/water lesson. Our land/water lesson is $400.
- Practice on your own 10-20 hours (we do not rent gear, so gear purchase or additional lessons required)
- Once you master the basics, the progression to intermediate levels goes quickly
- Kiteboarding gear is easy to travel with and packs up into a backpack sized bag
- A complete gear set up (gear purchase required after lessons) runs approximately $2000-$2500
More on our Kitesurfing FAQ page[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]
Why I love kitesurfing. - Richard Branson
The thrill of windsurfing is multi faceted. You can just cruise in light winds and enjoy a direct connection with your sail and board. You can learn to use a harness and start to go fast – glide on the water while “planing” on your board. You can learn to jump, do freestyle tricks, ride waves, or just blast around the gorgeous San Francisco Bay. The modern day equipment is light weight and easy to use. The boards are wide and stable, and the sails are light and nimble. All you need is balance, finesse and a good lesson from a certified school (us!) on modern equipment. The average person can learn the basics of windsurfing in our 2 day beginner lesson. Then you can come back and rent gear from us to practice on your own. We teach all ages (age 4-100) and windsurfing is all about balance and finesse, not strength.
Windsurfing Progression & Benefits
- Windsurfing is a fun and easy to learn sport for all ages.
- After our 2 day class, you will be qualified to rent gear at any beginner friendly site around the world.
- The more time you spend on the water, the faster you will improve. We rent gear for all ability levels so you can come back and practice after your lesson.
- Start with our 2 day lesson. The cost is $180.
- Practice on your own after your 2 day lesson. We offer a beginner student special, unlimited 2 hour rentals for $109 (not including wetsuit rental).
- Once you master the basics, the progression to intermediate levels goes quickly with the help of our progression lessons.
- Windsurfing is available at many sites around the US and around the world. Once you know the basics, you can rent gear at any beginner friendly site.
- A complete gear set up (gear purchase required after lessons) runs approximately $2000-$2500.
More on our Windsurfing FAQ page
The thrill of windsurfing
Stand Up Paddle Boarding
Stand Up Paddle Boarding a.k.a. SUP is a total blast in both flat water and waves. Once you get into the “cadence” of a smooth consistent paddle stroke, it becomes very zen like to glide along the flat water, effortlessly. The vantage point of standing up makes for great nature viewing (versus being seated in a kayak), and if you grab a bunch of your friends to join you, it is very social (we like to call it golf on the water!). You can be a gentle cruiser or a world class speed demon. You can paddle on glassy flat water, or venture into head high waves. The planet is mostly covered with water, why not tour it by stand up paddle board? Stand Up Paddling has many disciplines and as it is a fast growing new sport, the possibilities keep getting bigger! It started out as a way for the super fit big wave surfers to cross train in Hawaii when there were no waves. They grabbed a paddle and started to realize the amazing cross training utility of SUP. Now that the sport has expanded out to the masses, people are enjoying SUP on flat water, on “down winders” (paddling down wind for miles while riding the swell created by the wind), recreational racing, professional racing, wave riding, group touring, and cross training / cross fit such as SUP Yoga. Come try out the sport and rent boards from us to see where your passion may lie. You may decide to be a comfort cruiser, a world class racer, or a cross training Yoga paddler!
SUP Progression & Benefits
- SUP is a fun and easy to learn sport for all ages.
- After our 1 1/2 hour clinic, you will be qualified to rent gear at any beginner friendly site around the world.
- SUP is a great way to cross train and stay fit. Come paddle to build up core muscle strength.
- The cost of our 1 1/2 hr clinic is $69.
- Practice on your own after your first lesson. We offer SUP rentals for $25 / hr.
- You can progress to recreational touring and/or the waves. We can give you an advanced beginner/beginning intermediate lesson (private) to get you to the next level.
- SUP is available at many sites around the US and around the world. Buy a nice carbon 3 piece paddle and travel all around to rent SUP boards!
- A complete gear set up runs approximately $1000-2000.
More on our SUP FAQ page